Police lay siege to flat of suspect
Four people were killed in Toulouse on Monday when a lone gunman opened fire at Ozar Hatorah School. Rabbi Jonathan Sandler, his sons aged 4 and 5 and a 7 year old girl, Myriam Monsonego, were shot in cold blood outside the school. A fifth person, a teenage boy, was seriously injured in the attack.
Police have confirmed that the perpetrator is the same person who last week shot and killed 3 soldiers in 2 separate shootings. The same gun and scooter were used by the killer in all three shootings.The soldiers were of North African and Carribean descent.
South West France has been put on the highest level of terrorism alert. For the first time in history the Country has declared a 'scarlet alert'.
On Monday night thousands of people took part in a silent march in Paris in memory of the victims of these horrific attacks.
This morning, the BBC reports that police are laying siege to the flat of a man suspected of the killings in Toulouse.
The man, named as Mohammed Merah, 24, a Frenchman of Algerian origin, has said he belongs to al-Qaeda and acted to "avenge Palestinian children".
Police are negotiating with the man, who is still said to be armed but says he may give himself up this afternoon.
The man shot at the door after police arrived, Mr Gueant, France's Minister of the Interior said, injuring one officer in the knee and "lightly injuring" another.
The minister said: "Our main concern is to catch him and to catch him under such conditions that he can be brought to justice."