Show Racism the Red Card travelled to Wigan for the first ever event that the campaign has held at the JJB Stadium.
75 schoolchildren from local primary schools came along to the Champions Lounge to take part in a Question and Answer session on the issue of racism with a panel of current and ex professional footballers:
- SRtRC’s Leroy Rosenior – Ex West Ham United, Fulham and QPR.
- SRtRC Patron Earl Barrett – Ex Everton, Aston Villa, Sheffield Wednesday, Manchester City and Oldham Athletic.
- Efe Sodje – Bury defender and Nigerian international.
- Titus Bramble – Wigan Athletic and England Under 21 international defender.
- Emmerson Boyce – Wigan Athletic and Barbadian international midfielder.
The audience were shown the brand new Show Racism the Red Card film featuring Thierry Henry, Rio Ferdinand and Ryan Giggs. The film was very well received by the audience and provided a good starting point for the questions that followed.
The panel responded skillfully to a mix of interesting and thoughtful questions and the three lucky winners of the best questions received SRtRC T-Shirts and kit bags signed by the panel. The first prize was a signed Wigan Athletic shirt very generously donated by Andy Maxey at the club.
All of the young people who attended received SRtRC goody bags containing a SRtRC magazine and wristband.
Show Racism the Red Card would like to thank all of the panel for taking part and the schools for attending what was a fantastic event. Big thanks also to the club and particularly Andy Maxey and Julie Lavin for all of their help in organising the afternoon and their ongoing support for our campaign.