Details on how to enter one of the biggest competitions in Wales and rub shoulders with sports stars at a glitzy awards ceremony.
'Just a quick note to say how fantastic we thought the awards ceremony was. The kids faces at the end were a picture. Many thanks we had a fab day.
One of Wales’ biggest school competitions is launched this month, with finalists being given the chance to rub shoulders with sports stars and TV celebrities at a glitzy awards ceremony at a top Cardiff hotel
The Show Racism the Red Card’s annual anti-racism competition has grown into one of the most eagerly anticipated events in the academic year and is a great way for schools to introduce or continue their anti-racism work with young people. Young people are asked to create their own strong, high impact anti racism message that can be shared with peers and their local community.
There are a number of categories that are open to school children of all ages, including poetry, t-shirt and poster design, classroom display and media (dancing/short films) and prizes include signed football and rugby tops, match day tickets and the opportunity to watch the Welsh football and rugby teams train with the chance to meet the players.
Last year over 5000 young people took part in the competition, from all across Wales, with 150 attending an awards ceremony at the Millennium Stadium alongside the likes of Colin Charvis, Robert Earnshaw, Darcy Blake and Andries Pretorius.
But we’re rolling out the red carpet this year and holding the ceremony at the 4 star Marriott Hotel in Cardiff on the 2nd May. There’ll be a drinks reception, 2-course meal and plenty of entertainment for all our finalists along with the chance to walk away with some fantastic prizes. The event will be hosted by TV stars Lisa Rogers (Scrum V, Sports Wales)and Alex Winters (CBeebies).
Want to get involved? Here’s what to do next:
1. Register for the competition. It’s free and easy! Email us your name, schools name and telephone number to firstname.lastname@example.org or
Phone us on 02920 351 616
2. Next choose from the below categories: (there is no limit on the amount of categories your class/school can enter)
Poster Design - Year Groups 1-4
Poster Design - Year Groups 5 & 6
Poster Design - Year Groups 7-9
Poster Design - Year Group 10 +
3. Think of a great idea and get cracking.
4. When you’re finished please choose a max of 1 entry per category per class (you can enter as many categories as you want) and send them to :
School Competition Entry
Show Racism the Red Card
Office 1.12 The Maltings
East Tyndall Street
Cardiff / Caerdydd
We advise that each school that registers for the competition should watch our Show Racism the Red Card DVD. Every school in Wales was sent out a copy in 2006. (If required - The DVD and Education Pack costs £30.00, including postage and packaging)
The deadline for entries is March 15th so get your entries in by then!
· Entries must be received no later than Friday 15th March 2013
· The award ceremony will be held in May 2013
· One entry per school per category
· Categories are: Poster design: Years 1-4, 5-6, 7-9, 10+, Video/Media, Classroom Display, T-Shirt Design, Poetry, Welsh Language
Good luck and we hope to see you in May!